Old Favorites, Fresh Outlook

|
This past Sunday as I was sitting in my second service of the day, at the Korean church Compass just a few blocks from the building, I was overcome with sadness and joy both at the same time. Confusing I know. The past year and specifically in the past few weeks I have been given multiple opportunities to witness to others who are not believers. New York is swarming with people who do not know Christ or the first thing about the Gospel. At home, I have many friends and family members who are so far removed from who Christ is and what a relationship with Him is really about even though many of them grew up in church or were exposed to Christianity at a young age. I've been talking with one of my good friends lately and our conversations always end the same way, with my promises of prayer and their dismissals of needing it. On Sunday, I was overcome with such a burden for these people-specific ones and even those in the city that I haven't had the chance to meet.

Many people dismiss Christianity as just another way to cope or another form of authority placed on their lives. Many of those that I have spoken with see the Bible as contradictory. Some believe it is used in hypocritical manners with scriptures being applied to one ideology and not another. My heart aches for these people. The ones who believe that they have hit the bottom and are trying to pull themselves together. The ones who don't see that the things they are searching for are not going to fulfill them. The ones who believe that if they could just obtain one more material item then they will finally be happy with who they are and where they are in life. My heart breaks knowing that there are people out there who are searching for their worth in the admiration they receive from others. People that think there is nothing wrong with the way they are living when their lives are completely absent of God and His presence. And my heart is shattered by the stories I hear of people feeling like their mistakes have made them worthless, irreconcilable, irredeemable.

I have heard such stories from friends and strangers alike. Those who think that in order to receive the promises of the Gospel they must first fix themselves. They can't call themselves a Christian until they first start living like one. Tonight as I sat speaking with a homeless man, my heart was filled with pain. This man had seen such sorrow throughout his life. He had lost several family members to suicide and cancer, he had struggled with a drug addiction, and now he was living on the streets. As he told me his story, he began to weep and I wanted to weep with him. He told me that if he was not able to finally overcome the drug addiction he had fought so hard against, that he hoped he could find a way to die. My heart ached because this man had so many burdens and no where to turn with them. He was not a believer nor did he have any desire to speak about God. I simply asked if I could pray with him and he said I could when he wasn't around. He didn't understand how someone with enough power to inflict swift and fatal judgment on an unrighteous population could show mercy, especially to an addict. In his eyes, everyone saw him as a burden on society, someone that couldn't be helped. And I was brought back to church on Sunday afternoon as we sang Mighty to Save--a song I have heard and sung along with more times than I can count. This time I truly believed that my God is mighty to save and that everyone, everyone, needs compassion. What a truly blessed people we are to have a Savior who shows us love in the deepest ways.

I thought again to one of my favorite hymns-Just As I Am. A woman, Charlotte Elliott, wrote this hymn after years of bad health and disability. She was belligerent and despised any kind of religion. Her bad circumstances had left her with doubt in God. After years of holding onto her anger and resentment towards God, she finally surrendered everything she was and began writing poems that would later be hymns. The minister who led her to Christ told her after being asked how she herself could become a Christian, "You would give yourself to God just as you are now, with your fightings and fears, hates and loves, pride and shame."

I don't know who's reading this post-if you are a believer witnessing to someone or someone who is not a believer in the slightest. But whoever you are, know that Father loves you and will redeem you from the further depths than you could even imagine. He can not be defeated and He will restore you completely. He will forgive all that you've done and will do and He will help you overcome any heavy burden. For

"The Lord is good and right;  He points sinners to the right way.''
Psalm 25:8


This is a scripture reference I write on my hand every day. I then write the names of those I know who are not believers around this passage as a reminder to life them up in prayer whenever I see the reference. Some of them I will never know the outcome, but some of them I eagerly await the day to call them my brother or sister in Christ. 


"Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives. The burden that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light."
Matthew 11:28-30


Just as I am, without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Tho bidst me come to Thee, O Lamb of God I come, I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not, to rid my soul of one dark blot; 
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God I come, I come!

Just as I am, though tossed about, with many a conflict, many a doubt
Fightings and fears within, without, O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind, sight, riches, healing of the mind
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find, O Lam of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve
Because Thy promise I believe, O Lamb of God, I come, I Come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment