Prayers for the City

|
There are two separate events that are consuming my mind today. They are not connected at all, but yet somehow I see the two becoming intertwined in my mind with how I view the city and ministry. Last night, the MNYBA hosted an event entitled "Get Connected". It was at this event that pastors from churches all over the city and even from New Jersey were gathered to connect with each other and the MNYBA. There were also people from North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas here looking to either begin a church plant or partner in some form or fashion with a church plant. In all, there were close to 90 people or so in the first floor chapel gathered together to talk about how the Lord is working through various partnerships here in the city and even in other states. There were people from all different nationalities. People who had grown up outside of  Christianity but were now working fervently to spread the message of the gospel throughout the five boroughs. There were people who spoke multiple languages and some, like me, who spoke only one language. There were pastors there whose churches had been established for quite some time and other pastors whose churches were still in the beginning stages. It was amazing to see all of the differences that existed within this group of people. The thing that was even more amazing to see was how these differences had no bearing on the unity felt within that room. As the evening came to a close, Kyle and I led the group in singing "Stronger" and the chorus of "How Great Thou Art". All night there had been technical issues upon technical issues. The mic would be working and then all of a sudden it would go out. The speakers would randomly make loud buzzing noises. Kyle's guitar ended up not even coming through the system. But in the end, those things didn't matter. The chorus of voices that resounded in that chapel last night was such a beautiful sound. The picture of seeing so many different people from so many different places worshipping Father in such sweet surrender was a sight that I feel so blessed to have been able to see. Hearing people lifting up their praise to the Father who is unbelievably real and working in powerful ways in their lives and communities was awe striking. As the song ended, we entered a time of prayer. This was the most powerful moment of the night. The chapel is decorated with various plaques that all have the same verse written on it in multiple languages.

"It is written in the Scriptures, 'My temple will be called a house for prayer for people from all nations.'
                          Mark 11:17

This passage is referencing Isaiah 56 which talks about how all nations will be united in the Lord. 

"Foreigners will join the Lord to worship Him and love Him, to serve Him, to obey the law about the Sabbath, and to keep my agreement. I will bring these people to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. The offerings and sacrifices they place on my altar will please me, because my Temple will be called a house for prayer for people from all nations."
                           Isaiah 56:6-7

Last night, that chapel truly was a prayer for all the nations. As we entered into a time of prayer, each person was encouraged by John to prayer in their heart language, or the language they were born in. It was such a beautiful occurrence. I understood only three of the prayers that were prayed last night, but I was moved to tears by the thought of how unlimited our God is. I was thinking about how difficult it was for me to even learn just Spanish and here is the God of the universe able to listen and comprehend and fulfill the prayers of languages from all over the world. There is no limit to what our God can do and I was so moved and overwhelmed by that thought in the middle of all of the prayers for Father to move in our city. 

This morning, many of you have seen or heard the reports of the shooting that happened at the Empire State Building. This event really had me thinking because just two nights ago, I was standing in front of that very building. I was burdened by the families of those who are involved, whether in relation to the shooter or the victims or just people who were in the building at the time. I've been thinking about those prayers that we as a body of believers lifted up to Father last night. Prayers that He would be working in the city and in the lives of those who live here and even visit. With the time of prayer last night and the events of this morning, I am reminded how important it is to be in prayer for the city I live in. I am reminded how important it is for me to be praying for the people I pass by every day, the people I sit next to on the subway, the people I bump into in the park. I am reminded that prayer is powerful and that praying for other believers as they serve the same city I serve is powerful too. Father is working in this place. If you don't believe me, come visit. It's amazing to see what He is doing through people, through ministries, through random interactions. So here are my prayers from Scripture for the city and all of those who are in it. 

"I always remember you in my prayers, asking the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, to give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you will know him better. I pray also that you will have greater understanding in your heart so you will know the hope to which He has called us and that you will know how rich and glorious are the blessings God has promised His holy people. And you will know that God's power is very great for us who believe. That power is the same as the great strength God used to raise Christ from the dead and put Him at His right side in the heavenly world. God has put Christ over all rulers, authorities, powers, and kings, not only in this world but also in the next."
Ephesians 1:16-21

"This is my prayer for you: that your love will grow more and more; that you will have knowledge and understanding with your love; that you will see the difference between good and bad and will choose the good; that you will be pure and without wrong for the coming of Christ; that you will be filled with the good things produced in your life by Christ to bring glory and praise to God."
Philippians 1:9-11

"Now may God himself, the God of peace, make you pure, belonging only to Him. May your whole self--spirit, soul, and body--be kept safe and without fault when our Lord Jesus Christ comes."
1 Thessalonians 5:23

"And now, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the Lord's teaching will continue to spread quickly and that people will give honor to that teaching, just as happened with you. And pray that we will be protected from stubborn and evil people, because not all people believe. But the Lord is faithful and will give your strength and will protect you from the evil one. The Lord makes us feel sure that you are doing and will continue to do the things we told you. May the Lord lead your hearts into God's love and Christ's patience."
2 Thessalonians 3:1-5

"So I bow in prayer before the Father from whom every family in heaven and on earth gets its true name. I ask the Father in His great glory to give you the power to be strong inwardly through His Spirit. I pray that Christ will live in your hearts by faith and that your life will be strong in love and be built on love. And I pray that you and all God's holy people will have the power to understand the greatness of Christ's love- how wide and how long and how high and how deep that love is. Christ's love is greater than anyone can ever know, but I pray that you will be able to know that love Then you can be filled with the fullness of God."
Ephesians 3:14-19

I pray these prayers over the city of New York, the believers in the city, those who do not know Christ, and those who are yet to hear about the Father's love. I end with this thought from Paul in Ephesians 3:20-21, 

"With God's power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine. To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus for all time, forever and ever. Amen."



0 comments:

Post a Comment